To me, it feels like August was three separate seasons all in itself: summer classes wrapped up, then there were a few weeks of resetting, followed by the start of the fall semester. In the last two weeks or so the weather finally became what I expect in summer: triple-digit heat and occasional storms but somewhat less-oppressive humidity. I have no idea what that means for the rest of the year, but I’m both extremely ready for fall and relieved for things to finally feel completely normal in at least one aspect of life.
I also read more books this month than I have been averaging recently! And, thankfully, there weren’t any substantial disappointments. Read on for a more detailed look at how this month went!
Books Completed This Month
Discernment (The Legacy Chronicles #3) by Lauren H. Salisbury; Science Fiction ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read my review here!
To Be or Not To Be: A Choosable Path Adventure by Ryan North; interactive retelling of Hamlet ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tiny Tabletop Gardens by Emma Hardy; Nonfiction – Gardening ⭐⭐⭐
Tiny Plants: Discover the Joys of Growing and Collecting Itty-Bitty Houseplants by Leslie F. Halleck ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fanny’s Hope Chest by Sarah Holman; Dual-timeline Contemporary and Historical Fiction ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Disruptive Witness by Alan Noble; Nonfiction – Christian Living ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (reread)
A Dog Like Daisy by Kristin O’Donnell Tubb; Children’s Contemporary Fiction ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Average Rating: 4.42⭐s
Books Read but Not Completed This Month
Text, Lies, and Cataloging: Ethical Treatment of Deceptive Works in the Library by Jana Brukaker; Nonfiction – Library Science, Cataloging
Tables in the Wilderness by Preston Yancey; Nonfiction – Theological Memoir
August TBR & Goals
Originally posted here.
- Finish reading Americanon by Jess McHugh (❌ – DNF around the middle of the month), Discernment by Lauren H. Salisbury (✔ – see my review here), and Disruptive Witness by Alan Noble ✔
- If time permits, also read Wear No Evil by Greta Eagan and one fiction book ✔
- I started Wear No Evil and decided to return it to the library after the first chapter.
- Read Fanny’s Hope Chest by Sarah Holman ✔ Review to come!
- Post 2 or 3 times per week ✔
- Get a solid start to fall classes ✔
- Send just-because cards to three friends or relatives ❌
- Help with a friend’s surprise birthday party – and complete the birthday gift I’m trying to make ahead of time! ✔
- Start thinking about fall events & outlining basic plans ✔
- Only go out for coffee twice, and don’t eat out for lunch at all ✔ This was mostly successful! I only went out for coffee twice, and I didn’t eat out for lunch during the workweek. I did, however, compromise two or so times and got a cheap soda or fries during a lunch break.
Movies Watched: Remember Sunday (2013 – rewatch) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐; Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Lost Without You (2016 – rewatch) ⭐⭐⭐.5; Persuasion (1995) ⭐⭐⭐⭐; The Million Dollar Arm (1997) ⭐⭐.5; Moonlight in Vermont (2017) ⭐⭐⭐; Follow Me to Daisy Hills (2020) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Music of the Month: The National Parks (esp Wildflower album)
Additional Music of August: With the help of those who commented on this post, I put together a playlist of music for reading or studying to! You can find it here:
Podcasts Enjoyed: Deck the Hallmark
Most Liked & Commented Post: Spell the Month in Books August 2021 Linkup
What was the highlight of August for you, Reader?
Until the next chapter,