Welcome to the February edition of WWW Wednesday on Reviews From the Stacks! I am even more excited about today’s WWW Wednesday than usual because my reading has been fairly intense recently. There is so much that I could talk about with the books I’ve read recently, even beyond what is included here!
For those who may not know: WWW Wednesday is a weekly meme currently hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. The three W’s stand for the following questions: What are you currently reading? What did you recently finish? What do you think you’ll read next? To participate, make a post or comment answering the three questions, link up to the host’s post, and check out what others are reading and posting about! I typically participate once a month, in the middle of the month, as a sort of halfway check-in on my monthly reading goals.
What are you currently reading?
So many good books!
- I’m still working through Start With Amen [nonfiction, Christian life] over breakfast, and I should finish it in the next few weeks.
- The main novel I’m currently reading is The Afterlives of Doctor Gachet by Sam Meekings. This is a semi-fictional account of the subject of Van Gogh’s famed painting “Portrait of Dr. Gachet.” So far it is fascinating; I love the author’s style and the way he interjects himself as a character-narrator once in a while.
- Lisette’s List by Susan Vreeland [historical fiction, WW2] is still sitting on my side table with a bookmark between one third and halfway through. I think I am just now getting to the meat of the story, but I am at such a melancholy part that it is difficult to pick back up. I really do want to finish this, but it isn’t a priority at the moment.
- Lastly (more or less), I’m reading 5 Secrets of Story Structure [nonfiction] by K.M. Weiland whenever I have a spare moment with my Kindle. This relatively short instructional book on how to outline a story is very helpful, but I have to really be able to focus on it while reading in order to comprehend and remember the different parts.
What did you recently finish?
Also several good books! Since my last WWW Wednesday I’ve finished 8 books; here are the top 5:
- Thief of Corinth by Tessa Afshar (my review)
- Throne of Grace (Cliff Walk Courtships #1) by Cecily Wolfe (my review)
- Crown of Beauty (Cliff Walk Courtships #2) by Cecily Wolfe (my review)
- Plot Bunny to Novel by Kellyn Roth (Goodreads)
- Far Away and Further Back by Patrick Burns (my review)
What do you think you will read next?
I have three more books about writing checked out from the library at the moment, so hopefully I’ll read them soon, or at least flip through and read the chapters that look the most helpful. These are Structuring Your Novel by K.M. Weiland, 90 Days to Your Novel by Sarah Domet, and Story Genius by Lisa Cron. I plan to pick up the last book in the Cliff Walk Courtships trilogy, Treasure of Hope, as soon as possible (probably during nap time the next time I babysit). One of my goals for this month is to choose which series I am going to finish this year that I have already started, and I think I have decided on The Chronicles of Narnia. I have three books left in the series, so I might get the next one and start working on that soon. Or I still might change my mind, as I am realizing there are a surprising amount of series I have started to read, and enjoyed, but never finished. My Goodreads TBR has exploded recently (as if it isn’t always), so there is also a good chance that I will choose something random off of it to read as well.
Question of the day: What books are in your life this week/month? Join the conversation in the comments, and head to Sam’s post to see what everyone else is reading!
Until the next chapter,